Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Super Mommy!

Here we are another day in the life of me. I watched an Oprah show yesterday. Before you get the wrong idea, I don't just sit around and watch TV all day. I was folding clothes while watching. Anyway, the show was about the things they don't tell you about before you become a mom. I was laughing. My boys would laugh when I did, but had no idea why. I thought that I was the only one to take shortcuts and would get so frustrated when I didn't get everything done.

So right now, I have a couple loads of laundry to fold, floors to sweep, a birthday gift to finish, alterations to do and at some point today, I need to get to the gym. I'll get as much cleaning done as I can, but I won't stress over it. I will get the floors swept just cause I have OCD and I don't like to step on dirt inside my house.

I have also started taking my boys for walks almost daily. (1) It wears them out and (2) It is good exercise for me and them. You can only imagine how frustrating it was when I GAINED weight after 3 weeks of walking. We would walk 1.5 to 2 miles daily. We have started bringing along bags to collect cans and bottles in. My children know what alcohol bottles are, but they also know that we don't have them in our house. People have asked us about cashing in the alcohol cans/bottles. My hubby and I reply with the same response, "If the drunks don't want the money, we'll take it." It just amazes us that 80% of what we find are alcohol containers. Makes me nervous to go on walks with the boys. Also, in 1 week of walking, my boys made approximately $30 from the collections. I told my hubby that we have a bit of a fiend on our hands. Now we will be driving down the road and hear from the back seat, "There is a bottle!" The boys get the money. We are teaching them about saving and spending.

There are too many people in this world who have not grasped the concept. We were speaking to one person about finances and they made a comment. I thought my hubby was going to have a coronary. We asked this person about why they don't just pay something off or why they bought something. I don't remember. (We are close to this person. We would in no way ask this of a stranger.) The comment we got was, "All our bills are paid for the month, so we can afford it." This is unfortunately the thinking of most people when it comes to money. The problem with the economy is not because of the President or the stock market. People just need to step up and take responsibility for the choices they make. Now I'll get off my soapbox. There is so much more that I could say on this subject, but I'll save that for another day.

I joined a gym on Sunday. They were having a $1 registration fee. I loved the gym when I was part of it before my 3rd son was born. I just felt comfortable and accepted there. I stopped my membership when I stopped working, because I figured we couldn't afford the monthly cost. Just within the last couple months, I have started taking better care of myself. I heard somewhere that it doesn't do any good for the family if the mom doesn't take care of herself. I thought how true that is!

I just fed an entire loaf of bread to the birds. Last night I was trying to stay up while I let it rise. Then I just went to bed. I was tired and it was late. I left a note on it for my hubby to bake it in the morning. It was half-baked. So this morning my son went to school with a lunchable-inspired lunch. So now I need to make a new loaf.

Guess I'd better get back to work. I'm done preaching for the day.

No comments: