Monday, April 13, 2009

What a Weekend!

This has been one long weekend. First, my oldest didn't have school Thursday and Friday because of kindergarten testing. The teachers were testing the incoming children. So he had a 4 day weekend.

My hubby only worked a half day on Friday because it was considered a holiday. It worked out though because we ran some errands when he got home. We stopped in Freeport and checked out the Children's Place. I found a couple cute dresses for our niece's birthday. They were marked down and on sale.

On Saturday, I met up with some ladies from the playgroup and we made chocolates for our children's Easter baskets. There was a lot of chocolate made and fingers being licked. We had so much fun. That evening we had the 5th birthday party for our niece.

On a sadder note, my Great-Grandmother passed away. She was either 94 or 99. We have to find out her birthyear. There seem to be some discrepencies on that note. We found out from the ER that she passed away from neglect. She was in a nursing home. She had a couple major sores that spiked her fever. She slipped in a coma. I worked in many nursing homes here in Maine. I took a CNA course and worked hard to care for my residents and clients. My certificate could not be transferred to California because they require so many more hours and are "stricter". She would have most likely lived until we got there at Christmas. My oldest is the only great-grandchild she ever met. At Christmas she would have spent time with 5 great-grandchildren. I just remember when she met my son. All she wanted to do was stare at him and hold him. We have a picture with 5 generations. She had a look of pure joy on her face. Just so you know, I'm crying as I type this.

My grandfather, her son, went in to see her Saturday morning. He spoke to her and told her to stop fighting and let go. She was a fighter. He went to visit his wife and made a quick stop. There was a butterfly that flew into his open window. It was red with yellow markings. The butterfly rode in the back of his car for part of the way. When he stopped at his next stop, the butterfly flew up and landed on his finger. It flapped its wings a couple times, then flew out the window. That was at 2:35 PM. A few minutes later he got a call from the hospital that his mother had passed. The time she passed was 2:35 PM.

Sunday was Easter. The day we celebrate our Lord raising from the dead. I'm so glad He did.

This morning was also eventful. I was awakened at 4 AM to the smoke alarms going off. We are all ok. We know that the smoke alarms work. It all had to do with the fireplace glass breaking. I went in and ordered a new one. It is a good thing it is warming up here. So no fires until it comes in.

I'd better go. Lots to do.

No comments: