Monday, August 24, 2009

I'm home!

That's right I'm home from the hospital. It has been a fast, yet relaxing weekend. I never knew that was possible, but I guess it is.

We dropped the kids off early Thursday morning and made the dreaded drive to the hospital. The nurse took me in the back and had me changed into the beautiful hospital gown. She then effortlessly inserted the IV on THE FIRST TRY! I was so excited. I got to visit with my hubby for a few minutes before they wheeled me to the surgery waiting room.

Many people (nurses, doctors, etc.) came to meet me. I'll never remember any of there names. The only one that I remember is the main surgeon that I met with a few weeks ago. I was given a "calming" drug, then wheeled into the back. I remember getting on the table. The next thing I knew was that I was waking up in the recovery room. The nightmare that many have about waking up on the operating table was not mine to have.

Might I also add that I wasn't nervous going in. Looking back I could tell that many people were praying for me. Thank you to those who did. I felt a sense of peace that you only get from being shrouded in prayer.

The nurse that I had in recovery was the kind of nurse that I wish there were more of. He was understanding and compassionate. Actually, all the nurses that I met in recovery had this same attitude. It was very refreshing.

Approximately 6 hours later (yes, 6), I was taken to my room. My roommate was interesting. The day staff were awesome. The night staff left a lot lacking. I'm not going to go into detail on here. I'll contact the hospital directly. I was kept on clear fluids all day.

Friday morning I was allowed to eat solid food, so I ordered up a meal. I could have done without the pancakes, but the food has improved a lot. One point I should make is that all day Wednesday I was drinking water and had my "last meal" at about 5 PM. So I had gone approximately 32 hours "without" food. Of course, I had my IV, but my stomach did not think that was food. :) The meal was enjoyed that morning.

Then Matt came to get me and we went home. I've been trying to take it easy. It seems like Friday and Saturday that I slept almost all day. I was able to go to the morning and evening services at church on Sunday. It was so nice not to be bed-bound. It gave me a new compassion for my clients who are bed-bound.

Matt goes back to work tomorrow and my dad will be here. He'll help with the first week of school. I still can't believe how fast the summer went.

I guess I'd better close. There are 2 special orders to get finished and posted. Have a great day everyone!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

I have prayed for you so often!!! So very glad you are at home...

Love ya!